Tuesday, October 01, 2002

The United States is getting richer. The rest of the world is getting richer much slower. The rest of the third world countries don't know the difference between capitalism and maniacal despotism because their too busy blaming their problems on the evil axis of the western countries, or crawling through the dessert hallucinating trying to get to the United States. Why don't we trade with Cuba? Why don't we trade with Iraq? For the same reasons we shouldn't trade with Bangledesh or Taiwan. The United States is not the problem. If you want to solve the problem try going to DC and burning the Bangledeshi flag. The only money pouring into that country is the pennies that I pay for my ISU baseball cap. If I didn't support slave labor by shopping at the Gap or buying a University baseball cap, then those poor people in Bangledesh who make 15 cents a month would starve to death. Present a solution before you attack the Americann shoppper. This had nil to do with competition. The US was the first counrty to incorporate anti-competitive jurisdiction into its framework of law. The rest of the world needs to catch up. The laws are there. No protest is going to solve anything. The laws are there. Enforce the laws. Walmart can be taken down. The radio stations can be taken down. You could revoultionize the whole print medium. Hold up a sign and sing songs? Fuck All That. Boycott? That's Bull shit. Where does the government stand in all of this? Nowhere. They don't care. It's a non-issue. Why would the govenment think twice about going after Walmart, Starbucks, and the Gap. I don't think that's not the government's job. Enact new legislation? Spell it out. I don't see anything in the activist agenda that makes me think: "Man, I really think things are turning around, and the world is taking a turn for the better."

Ultimately, I think I have problems with grass-roots demonstrations because any ya-hoo with a black mask and a temper can participate. If their were a timeline on activism, I don't think I don't think I would enter the picture until the tenth stage or so.

No comments:

Castoreum

Animal scent markings are notorious for smelling terrible. But castoreum is different. It has a musky smell that some people describe as van...