Friday, August 02, 2002

An idle brain is the devil's workshop

I hope when school starts during the last week of August that I become distracted enough with my jobs and homework that I forget all about these activist issues. The People vs. Big Bussiness with the honorable G. Cash Money presiding. You may be seated.

How long has this struggle been going on? I recall images of enlightened industrialists building transcontinental railroads, great logging enterprises, and vast mining operations scraping mountaintops into moonscapes. And now that we have a true blue robber baron in the White House it seems that big business has the upper hand in the fight against the environment, the workers, and communities.

But very soon I'll be too busy to be involved in these issues, getting my "education" -- more like job training. And when I spend all those hours at work, including all the hours at home recovering from the workday, I'll have little time indeed to think creatively or to think about the values that matter to me. I suppose that is what the attraction to becoming an Anarchist. Spending all of your free time railing against capitalism and being pissed off. Free time. What an oxymoron.

No comments:

Castoreum

Animal scent markings are notorious for smelling terrible. But castoreum is different. It has a musky smell that some people describe as van...