Friday, April 22, 2005

My boss got me a "Fear No Art" coffee mug from the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago.

He then sent an email that explained the phrase. It included the following excerpts:

Two small signs appear on my office door. One says: "Fear No Art." The other says: "Fear No Art." What's the point? The first reminds us not to fear art that challenges us and makes a demand on us to think differently. The second tells us to fear the absence of art.
http://www.gracecathedral.org/enrichment/excerpts/exc_20010829.shtml


I am a firm believer in "Fear No Art!". I think that we many times get caught up in what offends us and don't think of what the meaning of the offensive art may be. I think the most offensive art has a place. It's someone's expression, someone's voice. That voice cannot be silenced any more than the protesters voice can.
http://themikejones.tripod.com/me/

No comments:

Castoreum

Animal scent markings are notorious for smelling terrible. But castoreum is different. It has a musky smell that some people describe as van...