Sunday, December 08, 2002

We teach people how to treat us

For real, I straight up told this faculty member that I don't mind putting 16 exams online for her, because that is my job to assist faculty. But I do want to be appreciated.
I told her that.
And you know what? Friday she came up to me in person a month later and said, "Thank you so much." I fucking love to be appreciated. Sometimes, I swear I'll do anything for acceptance or admiration. I mean, isn't that a big part of job retention? If your boss or coworkers simply rate you favorably? On the Best Buy employee survey, there are questions like, "Do you have a best friend at work?" and "Does your boss touch you appropriately when you deserve to be touched after making a big sale for the company?" Ok, not exactly that last question, but my point is that managers know that ass-kissing employees makes 'em feel good and will give them more reasons to work hard and stay. Hell, if it was all about the money, many of us would just stay home.

No comments:

Castoreum

Animal scent markings are notorious for smelling terrible. But castoreum is different. It has a musky smell that some people describe as van...