Saturday, August 31, 2002

You know Mr. Natale, that wasn't right throwing out that black leather chair of Matt's, because that was one hell of a comfortable chair; even if it stank like piss and body odor. Buying a new chair for Matt Natale is only supporting the consumer culture prevalent in America.

I saw Andy Powell out at Brewhaus tonight. He's a big Cardinal fan, God bless his soul. It turns out he voted for Nader in 2000. It's ironic that I voted for Gore and now I am more active in the Green Party than three of my friends whom all voted for Ralph Nader. I suppose it is liberal guilt.

Allison and Megan [sic] were also out at the bar tonight. Allison walked by twice going to the women's restroom with a fierce zombiefied forward stare. She would not look at anybody. Even Andy said she was spaced out tonight. She was with her boyfriend; maybe that had something to do with it. She had a four year old daughter now. Time flies.

I was also talking to Mike Reefler tonight about how he trained out at Southeast High School recently while getting his teaching cerificate. He said going back from a teacher's perspective was a bit strange. We chatted also about the 10 year high school reunion that is coming up in 2004. We wondered who would organize that. Would it be the class president, Tony Thrasher? I would volunteer.

This is why people move an hour out of the way - say, to Bloomington, Illinois: so they don't have to see people they knew from high school in bars. Apparently, Mr. Lawson is still the guidance couselor. He is one of the few faculty remaining that the class of '94 would still recognize. Times have changed (I can't believe I just wrote that. What am I? An old man already? I did just buy Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation at a garage sale today for a buck.).

In order for this to be a serious article, I have to say two phrases: America (which I already mentioned) and, "In this post-September 11th climate...

There. Now I am a real journalist. Good night.

No comments:

Castoreum

Animal scent markings are notorious for smelling terrible. But castoreum is different. It has a musky smell that some people describe as van...